VMS 2021-2022 Policy and Procedures
Welcome to the 2021-2022 School year at Vancouver Montessori School. We are excited to have your family with us this year. We have included in this packet all the key items you will need to know as we begin our school year. Please read over all the information and return the signed page that states you have read this document to the office by Monday, August 30, 2021.
Safety Procedures Implemented at VMS
We want you to know that we are taking every precaution to reduce the risk of infection in the school building and within the classrooms. I am working closely with the OSPI, DCYF, and WA Health Department to support our community as we begin the new school year. We have been diligent this past year in keeping our school a safe and healthy community where children are given the opportunity to be independent while growing socially, emotionally, and academically.
We recognize that the children in all classes will unavoidably interact with each other during the day. Nonetheless, we have identified certain steps we can follow to minimize the spread of illnesses.
- We will reinforce washing hands throughout the day.
- Bathrooms will be sanitized throughout the day.
- Frequently touched surfaces within the school will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day. (For example, door handles, sink handles).
- Shared objects will be sanitized regularly.
- Tables will be sanitized throughout the day.
- Masks will be worn by all staff.
- Masks will be worn by children 5 years old and up and recommended for children 2.5 years and up.
- All staff will wash hands throughout the day.
- The building will be thoroughly cleaned each evening.
Please do not bring your children to school if:
They have the following:
- A fever of 100.4°F or higher
Or if they have two or more of the following symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
If your child is feeling sick while at school, we will call you to pick up your child. Depending on your child’s symptoms you will be asked to keep your child home for 24-48 hours. To protect all our students and staff please be diligent about keeping your child home if they are feeling sick, this is the best way to prevent the spread of illness within the school.
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the school building during drop off and pick-up. You can schedule a time to come in and observe through the observation window with the office. Teachers will be available after school via phone or by an appointment. Administration will be available by phone or by a scheduled appointment.
- Parents will fill out the health questionnaire online before signing in your child/children on transparent classroom each day. You will sign out through transparent classroom as well.
- All staff will wear face coverings, except when outside on the playground.
- Families must wear face coverings when dropping and picking up children.
- Face coverings are required for children 5 and up and encouraged for all children aged 2.5 and up.
- Children will be allowed to be without a mask on the playground.
- All children should bring a backpack to school daily (Character Free)
- All children need to bring a lunch box daily (character free) to keep their lunch items in.
- Please bring containers labeled that your child could open at lunch. (You could practice with them at home before school starts)
- We will provide morning snack each day.
- We will provide afternoon snack for Toddlers.
- We will provide snacks for all children staying in aftercare.
- Please remember that your child/children may not wear clothing with any characters on them.
- Please bring a pair of rubber rain boots and a raincoat to keep in your child’s cubby.
- Please provide at least one set of extra clothes/shoes to keep in your child’s cubby.
- Toddler Families will have a list of extra items needed that will be provided by the Toddler Community.
- Please provide a Ziplock bag with a bottled water and a granola/protein bar. (This a required emergency bag)
- Our school is open from 7:30am-5:00pm
Morning Greeting Procedures
- Regular drop-off will be from 8:00-8:30AM.
- Families are required to wear a mask.
- In Primary a check-in table will be at the front entrance where children will say goodbye to their families and walk to their classrooms.
- The Toddler families will drop off at their child’s classroom door. Where they will be greeted by your child’s teacher.
Afternoon Pick Up Procedures
- 12:30 and 3PM pick up will be at the front table for Primary and at the Toddler classroom, for Toddlers.
- We will bring your child out to the front table.
- Children at school for aftercare will be picked up from the playground (both Toddler and Primary), weather permitting. Once the weather changes, you will pick-up at the front table for Primary and we will bring your child out to you. Pick-up for Toddlers will be in the Toddler room, please knock or ring the doorbell.
Families, please reach out to the office if you need to change your child/children’s daily schedule from what you originally put on the registration form. Schedule changes will only be allowed if space is available. Our aftercare program is almost full, if you would like to add aftercare it will need to be for 5 days per week, we are not able to do part time in our aftercare program.
VMS tuition policy
- No refunds are made for missed school days due to illness, family vacation or inclement weather, or school closures
- VMS will send out emails/ text remind for inclement weather closures and late start.
- A 30-day written notice is required for withdrawal from VMS, and responsibility of tuition remains for the entirety of the 30 days.
- Changes to your child’s schedule must be in writing prior to the 15th of the month for the next tuition month.
- A $15.00 fee is charged per credit card transaction.
- Tuition is due by the 3rd of each month
Families will have the opportunity to communicate with staff via email, phone calls, and scheduled meetings. We will also be using transparent classroom to communicate with all families about their child/children’s daily activities. Please reach out to the office with any questions or concerns.
Parents it is important that you have updated any allergies your child may have or dietary restrictions. Please turn in any changes to the office. If your child requires a special diet or has allergies to certain foods, you will need to provide their snack items. A copy of the snack menu will be available at Open House and the first day of school.
This year we will be providing a supply list to a different class each month. This will allow us space for the items that come in each month. Your child’s classroom will receive the supply list two weeks before they will be due. The Teachers will be reaching out to each of their classrooms individually with their own wish lists. The $50.00 annual material fee will be billed with September’s tuition.
Late drop-off and pick-up
It is important for our classroom communities to start their day on time. Please have your children at school on or before 8:30am. If you have an appointment, please let the office know ahead of time. There will be a fee assessed if late drop-off is a continual occurrence.
Pick up time is 12:00 (toddlers) 12:30 (primary) 2:45-3:00 (toddlers and primary). If you pick up after your scheduled time their will, be a late fee assessed, this extends into our aftercare hours as well. (4pm or 5pm)